Friday, April 8, 2011

Why I Chose to Self-Publish

Skeletons is my love child, my seventh baby and while I have been working on it for the last five years I'v only been shopping it to different agents for representation for the last two - three years.  Since my rejection drawer cannot possibly hold another letter, I am very confident in my book and I'm ready to get my book in the hands of   thousands of my fans (delusions of grandeur) I have decided to self publish my book.
What is self-publishing you may ask? Well self publishing is just what the word say, to publish the book yourself.  Basically instead of getting an agent then having the agent shop the book to different publishing houses to pick up and publish I will cut the agent and publishing house out and publish the book myself.  Now self publishing isn't for the meek, it is a lot of hard work.  The major word in self-publishing is SELF meaning that you are doing everything yourself from writing to promoting it is all on you the author.  Seems like a lot of work, huh? Try doing it with six kids and a house to run.
I've been doing a lot of research on self-publishing and trying to get things in order so I have compiled a list of things that NEED to be done in order to be successful.  I've seen that most authors fail at self-publishing because:

1. They didn't promote and market their book.
2. They didn't hire a professional editor for their book.

A friend of mine just told me about a local author who published a book about a year or so ago, me being an avid reader had never heard of the book and I love to support local talent.  Why didn't I hear about this book?  Because the author failed to promote it.  So in order to make sure people know about my book I have a folder saved on my laptop that is labeled: PROMOTION.  Also I am having business cards and postcards printed up so I can create buzz about Skeletons.  I took marketing in college so I know a little about how to market and promote a product or service so I guess that gives me a little bit of an edge.  I was going to give up on Skeletons and go into Public Relations, but I have so much faith in this book and faith in God that I have to keep at it.  Since I have such a strong support group (you wouldn't know if based off of the number of followers on my blog) that I am certain that I have people creating buzz about my book as well.  In order to be successful I have to promote my book at every chance that I get.  I have to let people know that I am writing a book and that this book exists and why it is a book that they would want to read.

Editing is very important and I cannot say that enough.  I recently gave a book away that I didn't finish because it was a promising read, however the author didn't spend any time or money in editing her book.  Such a waste of what could have been a great book.  I was shocked because I'd read one of her book before and it was very good.  This book had so many mistakes, plot holes and it just didn't flow right...it confused me more than entertained me.  That is why I am happy that I found an editor for my book.  The editors job is to read my book, not for entertainment purposes, but to make sure there aren't any spelling or grammatical errors, plot holes and to ensure that my book flows so that it makes sense.  It is very important to hire a good editor to look over an authors book to make sure it looks like I at least know a little bit about what I'm doing.

So that is where I am with my book; I will be getting the editor my manuscript on Monday and hopefully he will have it back to me by Friday and I'm excited.

Now back to reality, my beautiful seventeen-year-old daughter's art work was featured in a local art gallery and I'm so proud of her.   Ta'Keyha is just like me but with a little more sass and attitude, but I love her for who she is and what she has came through.  See 10 years ago she was in a tragic accident when a woman suffered a heat attack behind the wheel of her car, smashed through a fence and hit my daughter who was playing outside.  My baby suffered two broken bones in her right leg, her right arm was so severely broken that they were going to amputate it, she had a brain injury with bleeding and swelling, a few broken ribs, a lung contusion and a fractured hip.  The doctors didn't think that she would make it, I stayed by her bedside for three days before the nursing staff and my friends and family made me go home to rest and shower.  I was a mess, the whole time my baby lay in a coma I was in a daze.  Fast forward ten years Ta'keyha only has a scar on her right arm (which she didn't lose) to show that she was in an accident.  She is a walking miracle and everyday when I see her she lets me know how good God really is and what having faith will bring you through.  That is why I walk in faith every day and that is why I thank God every day because it is his will alone that I am here and able to have the talents that I have.  I am not a religious person, but I am spiritual and I know that with faith, diligence and love we can do almost anything we set our minds to.

No comments:

Post a Comment