Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The 7 Year Itch

I am going off of 2 hours sleep, 4 dinosaur chicken nuggets, a whole lot of Kool-Aid and cramps that would make a MMA fighter fall to his knees.  After putting the kids to bed I settled into my room and began to watch The Seven Year Itch starring Marilyn Monroe and Tom Ewell (I'm a sucker for old movies).
This is such a cute movie because Richard Sherman sends his wife and child away for the summer and instead of cheating the some of his other friends he stays home where his imaginatin runs wild when his sexy neighbor move in upstairs.


Dr. Brubaker: When something itches my dear sir, the natural tendency is to scratch.
Richard Sherman: Last night I scratched.

This movie leave me wondering about my character, Santana, in my upcoming book, Skeletons and what she and her husband are going through.  The itch that dare you scratch.   When I think of the seven year itch I think of after seven years of a long-term relationship or of a marriage, men and women tend to re-evaluate the relationship and rather or it is what they really want.  After seven years of being with the same person one find his/her eye wandering in the direction of the cutie next door and all of a sudden they start to itch.  This is no ordinary itch either, this itch is profound and the person has to have willpower and a whole lot of love for their mate not to scratch this itch.  But some lack that willpower and love so they scratch.

According to a statistic the average marriage lasts....7 years. I wonder if this seven year itch is a not a myth after all but more of a reality.  Santana finds herself bored in her marriage to Mike, the son of a preacher man, and she feels the itch coming on, but does she have the willpower to resist scratching?  Is her love for Mike strong enough to stop the itch?

Lost Without You
I have been married for 8 years and to some that may not seem like that long while to others it seems like a long time, but I do know that being married is very difficult and I have found myself itching from time-to-time.  I am human.  My husband has also itched.  He is human as well.  The problem with the seven year itch is that it isn't about the itch after all, it is about what a couple can do it avoid scratching.  Santana feels lost in her marriage, she and Mike have been together for so long that she feels as if she has lost herself and that she doesn't know who she is without Mike's last name.  Santana wants to branch off and scratch her itch, but at what cost?

Put some ointment on it and move on already!
We all itch from time-to-time and sometimes that itch is aggressive, but in life we have to learn how to make good choices; choices that won't leave our loved ones hurt, confused and leave our homes torn apart.  So if you are married and if you find that annoying itch coming on by all means put some ointment on it and find ways to ignite that spark with your mate once again!

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment