Monday, August 20, 2012

This Weeks Featured Reader: Carla Towns

Good morning, afternoon or evening depending upon when you are tuning into my blog! Today was the first day that my kids went back to school and this year is extra exciting because it is my eldest daughter, Takeyha's senior year of high school, my son Asa's freshman year of high school and also Boston's first year of school period! This morning was a flurry of people fighting for their alloted fifteen minutes of bathroom time, complainging about who had whose who-knows-what and why, wondering who was getting a ride verses who was walking or riding the bus to school and why they had to eat this or that for lunch! As crazy as my house may seem to some of you, the one thing that it is not is disorganized.
When you have a large family space is limited, time for each is limited, but the one thing that we cherish more than those two every important aspects of life is our ability to be properly prepaired and organized. The lunches were packed, the school clothes were ironed and sat out, the book bags were packed and arranged, five pair of socks were tucked away in five pair of shoes and sat by the door and showers were taken THE NIGHT BEFORE. That proper preparation ensured that admist our cahos we were organized. I shed a tear watching the teenagers walk to their bus stop, watching the pre-teen jump out of the car and walk into her school and leaving Javier and Boston after meeting their teachers. The ride home was quiet, as my husband and I breathed a sigh of relief and exhaustion, but our hearts were big with the love that we have for our kids and the amazement that we once again pulled it off without a hitch.

Introducing Avid Reader Carla Towns


As you may have noticed, I have been interviewing different authors on my blog and while it is always exciting to know what some of my fellow authors are up to I also wanted to give my readers a chance to get to know some of the people who read what we write. So today's blog is dedicated to avid reader, Carla Towns.

Let’s start with the boring but necessary questions first, who is Carla Towns? Is she an author or is she just an average everyday woman who enjoys reading as much as I do?

I'm certainly just an average, everyday , 25 year old woman, who just so happens to be an avid reader. lol. Reading has always been a passion of mine since childhood. I couldn't imagine not being able to curl up with a good book. I definitely think writing is in my future but it has to be right. Timing is everything and if I'm going to do it, it has to be done the right way. No half stepping.


I can remember the first book that I read and understood which was Amelia Bedelia in the third grade and from then on I was hooked to the written word. Can you recall one of the first books that you read and what made you fall in love with the written word?

I was a huge R.L Stein fan growing up. The Goosebumps and Fear Street series were my absolute favorites. Back then you couldn’t tell me nothing lol. Even though it meant I was scared to death when it came time to go to bed.

You are a very active participant in your Facebook book club, Black Faithful Sisters & Brothers Bookclub. What made you be a part of an online book club and are you a member of a traditional book club?

Zaneta Powell is the creator of Black Faithful Sisters and Brothers Bookclub. She started the group in June of 2011. Back then it was just myself, Zaneta, Sandy Barrett Sims, Gabrielle Dotson, and Shaniyah (or the Fab 5 as we refer to ourselves lol) along with authors Mimi Renee and Cha’ Bella Don, in the group but we kept it fun and interesting. Flash forward to today and we are still going strong. It’s definitely more than a bookclub, it’s a family. We encourage one another, we interact daily, authors come through and interact and we just try to be as informative and up-to-date as possible. Teamwork definitely makes the dream work and we love each and every one of the members. I’m not currently in a traditional book club.

Why are book clubs so popular?

 Book clubs not only give readers a chance to interact with other readers who share a similar passion for reading, they also give you a chance to discuss books, find some great, new reads and discover new authors.

What type of books do you enjoy the most?

 I love reading period. Urban fiction, horror, fantasy/ adventure are some of my favorite.

Who are some of your favorite authors?

Wow, Shimeka are you sure we have the time lol. I’ll just name a few. T. Styles, Ashley and JaQuavis, Takerra Allen, Traci Bee, Clever Black, Shan Richardson, Mimi Renee, Queen Brown, Nene Capri…this list could go on for a while lol.


What is the one thing that you find authors doing that annoys you the most?


Some of the older authors are really slacking.Not all of them but some. I mean with these brand new authors on the scene like Joe Awsum, Sa'id Salaam ,Jackie Chanel, Fabiola Joseph...the more established authors should be coming with the hotness. Instead, I'm finding that some of them are starting to release books just for the sake of releasing a book.At the end of the day, you're only as hot as your last book. These newer authors are definitely giving them a run for their money, if I do say so myself


There are three things that draw me to purchase a book from an author that I’d never read before: the book cover, the synopsis and the reviews. What factors do you consider when purchasing a book?

There are three things that draw me to purchase a book from an author that I’d never read before: the book cover, the synopsis and the reviews. What factors do you consider when purchasing a book? Most definitely the synopsis first then the book cover. I don’t usually pay attention to reviews beforehand because what one person may hate, I may love and vice versa. However, if I see a book has 27 one star reviews and nothing else then I skip right on over that lol.


You are an avid reader who often posts reviews on Amazon what makes you give a book a one star review?

 I rarely give a book a one star review. I know authors put a lot of time and effort into their books and I have to put myself into their shoes. However, a couple of books I've read did warrant a one star. Editing is major for me. A few mistakes here and there don't bother me but when I am struggling to understand what is written or the story constantly goes from 3rd person POV to 1st person, that's when I have a problem. Other than that: lack of storyline, taking too long to get to the point, unbelievable or under developed characters, and confusing story lines are some of the factors that affect my review.


 From risqué book covers to graphic sexual content, do you think that authors are using sex to sell their books?

I don't want to say all authors are using sex to sell because that's not the case but it does happen. Whether it's a scantily clad model on the front cover of the book or a chapter full of hot, sweaty lovemaking, sex is definitely there.I just don't think that's the main focus in all cases . Now erotica sure lol.

Last question, many authors choose to self-publish their books, such as myself, do you think that is a good thing or a bad thing and why? How has self-published authors changed the literary world?

I think the option to self publish is great. I've heard soooo many horror stories about people being lied to and deceived when it comes to their book being published and sold. Self publishing has allowed authors to be in total control of their book. From the cover to the release date to the price...authors have taken back control. They get to be there for the complete journey. From the writing process to the bookshelf.

 Thank you Carla for your candid interview!


1 comment:

  1. Carla Towns, you did an excellent job in this review!!! Excellent answers with explainations to go along with them. 5 stars! ~Sandy ~

    ReplyDelete