Monday, July 23, 2012

This Lady Needs No Introduction

As a mother I like to see women challenge the non-traditional roles and go against the status quo to do their own thing. Being a mother is a challenging fete, but try writing a book while bouncing a baby on your knee while simultaneously creating unique hand-made cosmetics and jewelry, promote online and in person and still have time to shower! That sounds like a like, but there is one young lady that continues to impress me by all of the hats that she wears, her name is Pinky Dior.

Hailing from Boston, Massachusetts Pinky Dior is not only the author of  Hazel Eyes, Valentine's Day Massacre,  The Diamond Exchange and collaborator on Almighty Dolla, but she is also the owner of her newly found cosmetic line, Amor Cosmetics  and she also designs her own jewelry line called IiCyCupp Designz. Wait there's more, Pinky also holds one of the most important positions in the world, she is mother to her brand new baby girl Mercedes. Needless to say this is one busy moma, but she did take the time to sit down for an interview with me.

I’m going to ask you what many people ask me all of the time with being an author, an entrepreneur and a mother, where do you find the time to fit it all in?
Well, I mean being a full time mother isn’t hard at all, I do the best I can to try and fit my jobs in with my schedule. My daughter comes first, so when she’s asleep I write, focus on my lipstick line and accessories line. And even when she’s awake sitting in her chair I work but I still give her all my attention. Every one thinks it’s hard because I have a new born baby, but I just do what I can and finish whatever needs to be finished on time.

Let’s start off with your writing career. How long have you been writing and when did you decided to bring your writing to the literary world for others to enjoy?


I’ve been writing since a young girl, but I got serious when I wrote my first novel in the 9th grade.. I completed my first novel less than a month and every one I let read it loved it. So that’s when I got real serious and kept writing  and people said this is good you should get it published. A lot of people motivated me. So I continued to write novels hoping of one day that I get published and I did.

Who or what inspired you to begin writing? 

I loved to when I was in middle school, but also I loved to write.  I told myself that I want to be an author, I wanted to be published. I was inspired by the many urban novels that I'd read as a young girl. When I began to write, my inner circle of friends and family members kept me motivated to keep going. 

What has been an obstacle of your writing career?

Some times I felt like my writing wasn't good enough and I would shut down in self-doubt. But I would push myself by saying that I  have to keep going no matter what, every one is not going to like your work, and there are people who will. 


What has been a surprising factor in your writing career?

Well I was shocked/surprised when I got a 3 book deal with DCBOOKDIVA Publications and I feel like she gave me the opportunity to put my short stories and novels out there. 

Please tell us about your soon to be released title, The Hustlers Daughter? 

I believe The Hustlers Daughter is going to be a classic. I’ve always had that title in my head and I wanted to write a novel based about a hustlers daughter, but I couldn’t come up with a good idea. Until one day my older brother and I was talking about it and I asked him for advice and he gave me some advice, basically planting the seed that I needed to run with. That seed blossomed into a book that I know is my best novel that I’ve written so far. It’s basically about a hustler’s daughter, Mercedes Carter who has everything she wants. Mercedes thinks that everything is all peaches and cream until she notices that the type of lifestyle she lives also has a bad side of it. But I don’t want to say too much, yall will have to cop that when it hits the stores! Coming soon…


Oh, wow now that sounds interesting! Not only an author you are also an entrepreneur who has recently launched your own cosmetic line, Amour Cosmetics what brought this current endeavor about? 


First off I love lipstick and lip gloss, and one day I was just wondering how they are made. I researched for days, keeping late hours researching on how to get started. Once I found out how to make lipstick and lip gloss I just decided to get my own cosmetics line started and I named it after my beautiful daughter Mercedes’ middle name, Amor.

Tell me about some of the products that you offer in your cosmetic line?

As of right now I just have lipstick and lip gloss in my cosmetic line. Some of the colors I have are Cute Pink, Strawberry Pop, Money, October and Sapphire Blue and many other colors. The lipsticks/lip gloss are pretty bold colors that are enriched with Vitamin E and has loads of shine. 

What are some of your best selling products in your line?

I’m just getting started but so far a lot of people have been buying different varieties of lip gloss, especially my light pink lip gloss, Bubble Yum.

Where do you come up with the inspiration for the different color combinations?

I just pick basic colors that people would like to wear and add my own spin on it. Right now I’m testing out different colors, mixing them to get more colors that people would love to wear.

Pinky, you recently welcomed a beautiful baby girl, Mercedes Amor, into the world how has motherhood changed you?

It’s changed me completely. I’m truly blessed and thankful that God has blessed me with a beautiful baby girl. My life was good but without Mercedes I don’t believe I would be grinding this hard. I got my cosmetics line, and my accessory line which is also named after my daughter, Amor Accessories. I feel like I have to give her the life that I never had. I want her to grow up and be able to look up to me as a role model, her inspiration, her motivation. I know my daughter is going to be proud of me. Everything I do is for Mercedes and that’s why I go so hard.

Motherhood takes up a lot of your time, how do you prioritize your day?

I tend to my priorities first, which is my daughter, Mercedes. Whenever she is asleep I will do whatever I can in that amount of time. When she’s up and not fussing I would just sit her in the chair, my mother and sister also keep her entertained while I work and being I have become a master at multi-tasking. 

What is your motivation for success? 

My motivation for success…is my daughter. I just look at her and say I got to grind for you and for me. I just feel like its my responsibility to be a role model for my daughter and other people as well. Also the lifestyle that I want to live, I’m not rich but I’m not poor. I’m blessed but I’m not where I want to be at in life and that’s also a motivation of why I’m grinding so hard.

If you could say one thing to girls younger than you who want to follow their dreams what would that be? 

I would tell them to never give up, ever! No matter what, no matter what your going through, anything you put your mind to you can do. You may not get famous or rich in one night or day, you have to keep doing what you’re doing consistently in order to accomplish your goals. I wrote for years and didn’t get a deal until many years later; Why? Because I never gave up on my dreams, even when I sent out query letters and got rejected many times, I still kept going. And that’s what made me the person I am today.

What is next for Pinky Dior?

What’s next for Pinky Dior? Who knows? I may have a clothing line next year. But I’ve always wanted to own my own publishing  company as well. There’s just so much stuff that I want to do in life, that I don’t know what’s next for me. But this isn’t the last time any one will be hearing from me.

You can find Pinky Dior's novels on Amazon and her can link up to Ms. Dior by clicking one of the sites below. 
Twitter @pinkydior @amorcosmetics

1 comment:

  1. Im a fan of Pinky Im a mother of five and starting 2 going on 3 of my own bussinesses.I love to hear about young women doing there thing keep it up Pinky..Jessica Love

    ReplyDelete