Thursday, June 2, 2011

Blacks Don't Skateboard---WHAAAAT?

Today was the final day of school for Javier, Peaceful and Asa (Takeyha's last day was Monday) and I am happy to say that everyone has been promoted on to the next grade.  Now that summer vacation is in full effect we are scrambling to find something to keep the kids busy.  Peaceful is dying to join dance lessons, Javier is ready for summer camp and Asa just wants to hit the nearest skate park.
Asa is a typical 13 year-old who enjoys playing video games, hanging out with his friends, playing all types of sports, playing his guitar and he also likes to skateboard.  Asa, my nephew and their friends have been skateboarding for a few years now, with his first skateboard at the age of 10 and he is really good at it.  Recently I've noticed that he has not been wanting to ride his skateboard as much as he use to so I asked him and he said that he just didn't want to ride it any longer.  Strange, I thought because this boy lives on YouTube watching different skateboarding tricks and techniques and he watches the FUSE network all day long so I didn't understand why he all of a sudden stopped skateboarding.
Until I talked to the 17 year-old, Ta'Keyha, who informed me that the reason that he didn't want to ride any more was because someone told him that blacks don't skateboard and that he was trying to fit in with the white kids.

WHAT??

I get so tired of people saying what is white, what is black, what is Asian and what is Latino.  People are people, we don't act based on our skin color, we act based on how we were raised and the things that have influenced our lives thus far. We don't act a certain way based on the color of our skin.  Due to race-mixing and the such I really doubt that anyone is 100% anything these days!  My heritage is African-American, Caucasian and Asian, but by looking at me I am black.  Do I act black? I don't know, I act me because that is the only way that I know how to act.  When someone mimmicks the actions and cultural traditions of another race that isn't acting Asian, that is embracing the traditions and the culture of another race, but in essence the person is still who they are.
Skateboarding has been around for many years, I use to skateboard with my brothers and his friends many moons ago, but we didn't take it as seriously as the kids of today.   Thanks to the likes of Tony Hawk and Ryan Scheckler skateboarding has become a very popular past time for many kids and some adults with more and more skate parks popping up all over!  Thanks to Asa and my nephew I now know what DC, Flip, Element and Darkstar Skateboards are and I know the skateboarder lingo and even skater fashion!  I love the skateboarder lifestyle.

For someone to have told my son that skateboarding was a white-thing must have never heard of Terry Kennedy, Stevie Williams, Karl Watson, Lavar McBride or Alex Carolino who are all professional African American skateboarders.  Let's not forget about Lupe Fiasco and rapper/skateboarder Pharrell Williams are  also African-Americans who embrace the skateboard.
Blacks eat tomatoes, blacks enjoy mayonnaise, whites eat barbeque, whites enjoy watermelon, Asians like pork chops, Asians enjoy nightclubs and beleive it or not blacks skateboard.  Stop putting people in little stereotypical boxes based off of what you think that you know and just let people be who they are on the inside.

TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment