Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Sex & The Aging Body: Getting it on When Your Getting Old

Hello all!
I know that it has been a while since I last posted and I think that excuses are nothing but greasy lies, so I will only say this: I promise to find the time to post more often and I'm sorry.
I know that it was not much, but at least it is a lot more than what most men say when they fuck up.

Before I get into the topic of today's blog I have exciting news! Finally after months of waiting, Son of a Preacher Man will be release this Friday, March 15th! I am very excited and I hope that you are too and that you will continue to support me on my literary journey.
Sex and the Aging Body
Getting it on when you are getting old
Okay, it happened! I never in a million years did I think that this could ever happen to a young, hip, modern and very flexible woman such as myself, but it happened. Yes, during a late night session my husband tossed me into a position that my rickety old body just could not accommodate.
Don't get me wrong, I tried. I attempted to hold on until my back nearly popped and my knees damn near gave out! Don't laugh, at least I have heart! I gave it my all too. Don't get me wrong it was not an amateur position, I think that Cosmo gave it a seven on their difficulty level; so we were dealing with some pretty professional level stuff. Then again, I'd been in this position more than enough then all of a sudden I turn thirty-six and my screams of oh shits in passion became OH SHITs of pain.
Kerri isn't off of the hook either. Where my tubby hubby use to be comparable to the Dirk Diggler of Greek mythology, he has lost some of his digging abilities (if you catch my drift). Don't get me wrong our sex is still top notch, but I have noticed that things are different just, different. 
One of my favorite shows was Sex in the City where you have four middle aged and older woman who not only had fabulous careers, sexy lovers and designer wardrobes, but who also had mind-blowing sex. I have always embraced the fact that I was going to be having steamy sex which lead to some of the most intense orgasms of my life; just like Samantha (Kim Cattrail) when I was in my 40s and 50s. But here I am mid thirties and already my body is starting to tell me that it things just aren't the same.

Don't get me wrong, my husband and I have been married for ten years and we still have lots of sex, but where our sex was once full of life and vigor it is now tired-yet-horny sex. Where we once use to do all sorts of things in the bed, we tend to stick to our three basic positions. No wait I take that back, he has recently added one that only requires one partner to be fully awake and lying in the spooning position. I call that the sneaky snake.

We are both in our thirties, we have a half dozen of children which includes a busy two year old who refuses to potty train, refuses to sleep, refuses to eat and just flat out refuses to do anything that would remotely make her parent's lives just five percent easier. My husband is a barber so he stands on his feet all day long then when he is finished with that he still has a family to tend to. I still work full-time not to mention I have my own publishing company and my own books to write, re-write, publish and promote then I too, have to deal with our children.

See in our twenties things were different because we just didn't care. Dishes in the sink? Who cares let's have sex. Laundry piling up? Who cares, let's have sex. Haven't slept in twenty four hours? Who cares let's just have sex. We had the energy to bend our bodies like Stretch Armstrong and pull an all nighter rolling around in the bed and could give a shit less about waking our neighbors. Now things are different.

I cannot bend and stretch as I once use to and you know what I'm not afraid to admit that there are times when he doesn't take me to the moon and I end up pulling out my litter silver astronaut to help out with the mission. I can admit there are even nights that I don't feel like the whole foreplay thing and I just want him to hurry it up so that I can finish a chapter or two and he can go back to playing whatever game it is that has his attention on his PlayStation.

Such is life.

But isn't sex supposed to be one of the most important things in a relationship? Isn't it supposed to be the thing that bonds a couple into eternal bliss? Isn't it?

Or are we just getting to old to be getting it on?

I think not. My husband and I are in our thirties and while we are very busy and preoccupied, we have to find the time to enjoy one another's bodies just as we did when we were in our twenties. We have to make it our mission to get homework done, housework done, work work done, kids hosed down and in the bed, teens out of sight and out of mind, TV off, bedroom door locked, candles lit, Maxwell playing and most importantly laptop and PlayStation turned off so that we can enjoy one another's bits and pieces.

Age has nothing to do with it, but our mind does. We are still very much attracted to one another and we still really want to have sex, but we have to find the time to actually have the sex that we've been thinking about all day and actually have sex.

We are in our thirties and dammit I am a long way away from white granny panties that come in packs rather than laid perfectly on a frilly table. We are decades away from coming to bed smelling like Ben-gay or wearing CPAP machines. We are years away from the little blue pills. We are also years away from Januari graduating and going away to wherever it is that she plans to go so we have to be creative, put our feet down and get it in.

I declare that I am not too old to get it on and I'm pulling out my sexy nighties and show my husband why he fell in love with me in the first place and I suggest that you thirty, forty and fifty somethings do the same! Take back your sexual powers and get it in!

TTYL


No comments:

Post a Comment