Monday, October 15, 2012

The Glamorous Life of An Author

I am excited that no longer am I a writer who is on a journey to become an author because now I AM an author.
I am THE author of Skeletons and now I am pleased to announce that I am the author of my second book, Son Of A Preacher Man which will be released this fall.
I like to think of myself as a humble person, when people give me kudos about writing Skeletons I look at them like, "oh you are talking about me?" because a writer is who I am or as Lady Gaga says, I was born this way. So when people say, "OMG you wrote a book!" or "OMG Skeletons was soooo good!" I don't think of it as a big deal because I didn't do anything special to write it, I just sat down and wrote. That's it.
But now I have to admit it, I am no longer just Shimeka, nope, I am the Author Shimeka McFadden.

Funny thing is when I think of an author I think of Carrie Bradshaw sitting in her apartment in Manhattan dressed in a pair of Christian Dior cut offs, Alexander McQueen t-shirt tied in a knot at her waist while typing on the latest Mac book Air while drinking a Mimosa. I thought that being an author was glitz and glamor instead it is the exact opposite.
In reality authors are D-list celebrities at best unless you are Stephen King, James Patterson or one of J.K. Rowling and even then when you see them they are a far cry from glamorous. When I sit down to write, I'm either sitting on my bed with a cup of Kool-Aid and a kid by my side with my husband screaming at whatever sport that is in season. Dressed in my last pair of clean yoga pants and a stretched out tank top and my glasses I pound away at the keyboard creating fictional worlds in which my characters are more glamorous than I.
Alton isn't Manhattan, but I am an author.
The only designer in my closet are a pair of Michael Kors jeans that I can no longer fit, yet I am an author.
My husband isn't Big, but I am an author.
My afternoons aren't spent sitting on the patio of a fancy restaurant talking to my friends, yet I am still an author.


So the next time someone makes a big deal about my books, I am going to make a big deal out of it too because I have always been a writer, but it took guts to become an author and that is something to be proud of.
Now without further adieu, I bring you Son of A Preacher Man coming Fall of 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment