Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Author of The Bliss, Playground and Poison Series K.D. Harris

First, who is K.D. Harris?

K.D Harris is a mother of two lovely girls, an avid reader, radio host and writer; from little old Delaware.

 

My love affair with books began at an early age, can you remember the first book that you read that sparked your interest in the written word?

I remember reading those little Golden books as early as yeas four years old; I was twelve when the thought of writing came about. I was in the seventh grade and V.C Andrews’s books were floating from class to class. I was reading Judy Blume, ad R.L Stein at that time. One day my best friend gave me, ‘If There Be Thorns” the first book in the Flowers in the Attic series-I was hooked. It was then when I decided if I would ever become a write I would want to be the black V.C Andrews.

Who are some of your favorite authors?

V.C Andrews, T. Styles/Reign, Anne Rice and a few others.

 

Many authors that I have interviewed have told me some of the things that inspired them to begin writing, what are you inspired by?

My children.

 

The literary world can be just as much of a cut-throat industry as music and film. What are some of the most surprising things about that literary world?

The amount of authors that lack the knowledge of basic creative writing and marketing/branding surprised me. They are the key elements to become a successful author.

 

K.D. you have been in the literary game a little bit longer than I have, what are some things that you would have liked for an veteran author to have told you when you first started out?

I was blessed, Toy (T.Styles) pretty much groomed me as an author. I knew the importance of branding, touring, and honing your craft. Michele A. Fletcher, my current publisher, she has taught me the publishing business in a whole marketing, sale, and distribution, everything that I lacked-she developed.

Self-publishing is blowing up the literary world, with successes stories such as Treasure Blue, K'Wan, Shan and T Styles. How has self-publishing changed the book game?

I think it’s beautiful if you have the right knowledge and capital to do it correctly.

Tell my readers about your Bliss Series?

Bliss is my baby; this is the first novel I ever penned. Poison was my fist published novel. My readers have deemed Bliss, as a psycho-sexual thriller. I totally went to the left with this series. I call writing factual fiction-so real you’ll think I’m writing about you. Bliss deals with REAL situations that people like to hide under the rug. I love-love-love this series!

 

After releaseing Skeletons, many of my readers wanted me to release a part two to the book. While I am not planning to release Skeletons part 2, I do see many authors, such as yourself, who do release subsequent titles to their books. What determines rather or not you write a series?

I pretty much let my readers decide. If I get an overwhelming response and people want more; if I can add more and keep as exciting as the first-I will.

 

Tell the readers a little bit about Playground.

Playground is a book that I did with Model Bubbles. She is a video vixen and has been featured in a few men and Hip Hop magazines. This book is based on two females who come from two separate walks of life but end up in the same place, the strip club.

 

Anthologies are becoming pretty popular amongst authors and readers alike, have you ever written or would you ever consider writing an anthology with other authors?

Working with another author was interesting…would I do it again-uh I doubt it. I never say never, just not right now.

 

Social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter have helped create buzz about many authors, but as I'm sure that you are aware of these same sites can cause an authors downfall. What is your take on social media and the literary world?

I think you should use it as a marketing tool-don’t let it be your sole source of marketing.

 

Lastly, what is next for K.D. Harris?

At the time I am adding the finishing touches to my novel, The Other Side. I have Dyck Dizzy, Playground and a surprise novel coming early 2013.

Also, I currently have a Blog talk radio show called Factual Fiction with K.D Harris, I am also working with my daughter on her first book under my company Posh Literary Group.

I would like to say thank you to K.D. Harris for her interview. You can find her books on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and on her website.

You can connect with K.D. Harris on the following sites:
www.iamkdharris.com
www.lffpublishing.com
Twitter: @kdharris
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/KDXTREME
Blog Talk Radio Factual Fiction: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/search/factual-fiction-/


TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment