Monday, April 11, 2011

Adobe Photoshot CS5 Rocks!

Taking a break from writing I decided to take a look at some book cover examples because one of the most important things in publishing a book is to get a good book cover because people do judge a book by its cover.  I was looking at some pretty good designs and got to thinking about my own book cover design.   I pretty much know the design that I want on the cover of Skeletons, but I'm open to other possibilities too.  I have been on several different graphic designers websites and some of them do some awesome work and  some of them charge an awesome price too.
So I got on YouTube and typed in book cover designs and up popped this video of someone showing how they created a book cover design in Adobe Photoshop (http://youtu.be/dYqgZmwYpRc).  So I did a Google search on book cover design in Photoshop and a lot of people have cut out the fees of the graphic  designer and purchased some stock photos and designed their own book covers using Photoshop.  Sounds easy, huh? Well....first of all I downloaded a trial of Photoshop from their website and starting playing with some cool text features then I did a YouTube tutorial on how to create different things in Photoshop. It was fun, it occupied a lot of time that I could have been using for writing, cooking, cleaning etc...I made a cool picture of Januari which I will post.  It was fun, but I have a lot of learning to do in order to even consider putting any of it on my book cover.
After doing all of that, I decided that I wanted PhotoShop for my laptop that is until I looked at the $700 price tag attached to the full version. That kind of changed things for me.  I still want PhotoShop and I intend on getting it, but that is too much money to spend on a program that I may not even use for the cover of my book.  In other words if I purchase PhotoShop with intentions on using it to design my very own book cover, but then find out that I'm totally illiterate when it comes to any type of graphic design.  I will have to shell out more money to get a graphic designer to design my book cover.  I don't know about you but in this economy and with my half dozen always needing something I can't see myself wasting $700 and I don't think that my husband could see it either. 
I will purchase PhotoShop, but after I get my first book publish and have some free time to learn the ins and outs of the program.  Don't get me wrong it is a very cool program which is very user friendly, but right now I have to get this book finished and published then I'll worry about designing the cover for my next book.  
TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment