Thursday, April 21, 2011

I'm Not Crazy I Just Enjoy Talking To Myself

Hey everyone, while at the gym today I brought alone my handy-dandy best friend, my voice recorder.  Having a voice recorder is essential for a writer, but for me it is a MUST.  Without my voice recorder I wouldn't get any writing done because I'd forget every great idea that I had and when the creative or inspirational bugs bite me my voice recorder is there ready to take it all in.
I am a mother of six very active children and sometimes I don't have the time to actually sit down and write for 8 hours a day (I wish).  I have meals to cook, clothes to wash, errands to run, noses to wipe, boo-boos to kiss and homework to check so in between all of that I have to still remember to shower, use the bathroom oh and brush my teeth.  My digital voice recorder stays in my pocket and I like it because it is small so it stays in my pocket so whenever I have an idea I grab the recorder and record my thoughts at that exact moment.  I have recorded dialog while standing in line at the grocery store, I have recorded sex scenes while sitting on the toilet, I've recorded plot ideas while on the treadmill.  My voice recorder holds so much creativity that I think it is the the right side of my brain.
My sister hates my recorder because she says that it looks like I'm talking to myself, but I don't think it is any worse than people walking around with blue-teeth (yes, I said teeth) stuck in their ears.  My sister is a nurse, not a writer, she has zero creativity so of course she doesn't understand how important it is to capture the idea or inspirational moment before you lose it.  She feels that it would be better if I wrote my ideas down, but I am not always around a pen or a piece of paper and I am sure I'd lose my notes during the chaos of my day so thanks sis, but I think that I will stick with my recorder.
So if you see me in the gym, grocery store, bank, one of my kid's schools or at a doctor's appointment and I'm talking to myself, please don't worry I'm most likely on my voice recorder or maybe I am, in fact just talking to myself.

TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment